Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Healthy Potato Skins

I was recently suggesting to a client that she increase the potassium in her diet to reduce the occurance of muscle cramps. I suggested bananas and potato skins. She responded that potato skins are really unhealthy and packed with calories. Well, this can be true in a restaurant but they definitely don't have to be unhealthy at all and provide some great nutrition for your body.

Directions:

Take as many russet potatoes as you would like and scrub all of the dirt off of them with cold water.

Prick each potato a few times with a fork and bake for about an hour on 400 degrees.

Let the potatoes cool.

Cut each potato in half and dig out the insides (save the insides for something like potato salad or breakfast potatoes).

Place the potato skins skin side up on a cookie sheet and spray with a little cooking spray. Season as desired. I make a potato seasoning with coarse sea salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dill.

Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes or until they start to get crispy.

Pull them out of the oven and fill with your favorite toppings. Here are some suggestions:
Green Onions
Homemade Chili
Tomatoes and Basil (maybe a drizzle of balsamic vinegar)
Shredded Chicken or Pork
Guacamole
Tossed Salad

I could go on all day! Just keep the toppings healthy and you are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment